Thursday, November 7, 2013

Not So Graceful




My piece on climbing Mount Lassen to see Ed Abbey's old fire tower, and the place that he wrote the first draft of Desert Solitaire came out today. And although I haven't left the house, it seems to have had a good reception. As an experiment, I had them include my Twitter handle in the story to see if I would pick up any new followers. One, thus far. But he is the editor of a magazine in Southern California, so a good quality pick up.

And so now I can relax for a bit. If you want to read the Ed Abbey at Mount Lassen story, you can just click here. As always, the hard copy is a whole lot more beautiful than the Internet version. The Art Directors at the CNR always do a marvelous job of making the piece beautiful. It also is a luxury, harder to find these days, to actually be able to ramble along for 3,000 words on a topic. I am thankful for the opportunity to have this forum.

On the Internet version, one Anonymous person wrote:

"Awesome article. Keep the Allan Stellar stories coming. The tribute to Ed Abbey was wonderful and Allan’s account of his permit application and the subsequent shutdown clearing the way was hilarious and nicely Abbey-esque, and the general thrust of the essay was spot-on. Thanks for running this story!"

I don't know who wrote that, but if I ever met that person, they would be a friend for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment