Saturday, April 13, 2013

Compliments from Jaime O'Neill and the Bulletin Board


Our local convenience store, lovingly called "the Domestore", is a bastion of hillbilly weirdness not seen this side of Appalachia. It is a grimy place filled with those who live out where not many people can find them. As such, they tend to be a bit "different" in their politics.

This Domestore has a bulletin board where you can find wood, or a person to do chores for you. Joni told me that someone had posted an Agenda 21 flyer there. When I dropped by there this morning, sure enough, there was the paranoid flyer. I posted my Agenda 21 article to add balance to the board.

Jaime O'Neill, who happens to be one of the best writers in California, writes a column for the small town paper of Paradise. Paradise is lucky to have him write for them because Jaime's work has graced Newsweek, the SF Chronicle, the Sac Bee, the High Country News, 60 Minutes and, of course, the Chico News and Review. Over the last month, Jaime and I have been tag teaming Guest Comments and Features in the Chico News and Review. I'm lucky to be in such good company.

Today Jaime wrote a column in the Paradise Post that was quite friendly to me. As I said on Facebook, it felt a bit like Harmon Killebrew complimenting you for your hitting. When we first moved to Concow, I noticed Jaime's writing right away. You can't help but notice his writing: it is that good. He has an easy style with dramatic imagery and, somehow, manages to be high brow and proletarian at the same time. Anyway, you can read Jaime's column here.

No comments:

Post a Comment